Hawaii is a fascinating state with an interesting history, and wide array of colorful people and culture. Being a CPA in Hawaii is a joy every day, and learning the rich history of this beautiful island is an absolute pleasure. Every now and then, we like to have a little fun over at Yuda.com! The following are a few interesting facts about Hawaii:
- The Hawaiian Islands were originally settled by Polynesian immigrants, but was unknown to the Europeans until James Cook landed here in 1778.
- Hawaii officially became known as the “Aloha State” in 1959.
- Hawaii is home to the only royal residence in the United States, the Iolani Palace.
- Hawaii is home to the largest number of endangered species in the USA.
- The Kilauea Volcano, located on the Big Island of Hawaii, is one of the largest and most active volcanos on Earth.
- The Big Island is home to one of the world’s biggest telescopes, and has more observatories in one location than anywhere else in the world.
- Hawaii is the only state that grows and harvests coffee!
- Hawaii is the only U.S. state whose land area is increasing (from volcanic eruptions.)